Sunday, May 16, 2010

30 Days of Dinner Time, Day 2

In the window, Susan and Rose. These two ladies had never met one another until their dinner time, though email plans for food had been exchanged. I had never met Rose either, though she did look very familiar... as an artist I may have run into her before.


Their dinner consisted of assorted courses brought in and assembled on the table, including but not limited to salad, sandwiches, chips and white wine.

Many more people became engaged with the piece, some of whom were repeat viewers from the previous night. A young man, no more than 16, was captivated by it which was very encouraging. A family came to talk with me at the end of the evening, they were in the car that pulled off the previous day. The father began to tell me, partly translated through his teenage daughter, what he saw in it... specficially pertaining to the immigrant issue of separated family units. He promised to call the news stations if I had a Mexican immigrant eating dinner, because he wanted the rest of the city to see what he saw.

This made me very happy to see the viewer becoming author. He saw it through his own lens and took the work to a place I would have never thought to go with it.

I also met visual artist Marcos Vidal from Spain who is showing work at NEXT this week. Good conversations and digital images of my piece heading back to Europe with him :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers