Sunday, May 16, 2010

30 Days of Dinner Time, Day 5

In the window, Amy and Michael. The third married couple to grace this piece, I again saw a new image of marital companionship. Their presence was relaxing and engaging, which was pleasant to experience and a gift to my already tiring body.


They brought with them an antipasti spread, very interactive build-it-yourself food combinations. I believe they are also the first vegetarians in the window, as a side note. When fresh pineapple chunks and nutella with crackers came out for dessert I suddenly realized how unsatisfying my bottled water actually was.

Tonight was the night of children. They were everywhere in the neighborhood, and many of them spent significant amounts of time in front of the window. One little man in particular sat with me for at least twenty minutes, even as his friends called to him for a basketball game. I was impressed by his interest and dilligence to understand what was foreign to him.

My thinking friend joined me again, who I now know to call Stephanie, but this time she came to watch with me. We sat together on the viewing chairs and watched. Silently looking ahead together. It was an enormously intimate experience, though I couldn't help but realize that I have the same exact posture when watching tv with someone and rarely experience that same vulnerability.

Two slots were also signed up for by enthusiastic viewers who wanted to participate. I'm very happy the community is embracing this piece and attaching themselves to it. On Monday the 24th, come to view a unique dinner, where a local hispanic family of 4 (along with their tiny dog Scrappy) will have dinner in the window. They also plan to invite their extended family to watch, play guitars, and perhaps ask a street vendor to sell everyone on the sidewalk dinner. It could be a regular block party, mark it on your calendars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers